Maple Pecan Bars are created with a delicious shortbread crust, and topped with a maple pecan pie filling. Similar to pecan pie, but in the form of squares!
Easy Pecan Maple Bars
You’ll love this recipe for Easy Maple Pecan Bars. The directions are quite simple, making it a breeze to whip up in no time. The yummy combination of rich maple and crunchy pecan flavors are what make these bars special. Whether you’re enjoying the vibrant colors of fall or simply craving a Fall flavored dessert, these bars are a perfect choice.
What You’ll Need
- Shortbread Crust- To make the shortbread crust, you will need powdered sugar, all purpose flour, unsalted butter, salt, and pure vanilla extract. The shortbread crust comes together easily.
- Pecan Pie Filling: Just like making a pecan pie, this filling needs butter, maple syrup, light brown sugar, heavy whipping cream, and chopped pecans.
- Maple Glaze: The maple glaze sets these bars over the top. You will need more powdered sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, whipping cream, and pecans.
How to Make Maple Pecan Bars
- Make the Shortbread Crust: Prep an 8 by 8 square baking pan. Then beat the shortbread crust ingredients together until they look like crumbs. Knead the crumbs together to form a ball. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan to form a crust. Bake.
- Meanwhile, make the Pecan Pie Filling: In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup. When everything is melted and dissolved, let the ingredients rise to a slight boil. Remove from the heat and add the heavy cream. Spread it over the crust. Bake. Once done, place it in the fridge overnight.
- Now Make Maple Glaze: Whisk the glaze ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add it to the bars. Garnish with chopped pecans. Let your glaze rest for about an hour before cutting.
How Long Are Maple Pecan Pie Bars Good For?
When these bars are stored at room temperature, these bars will last for a week. Store them in an airtight container. If you are trying to prepare for the holidays, you can make these bars ahead of time. After the bars have cooled and set, you can freeze them for up to a month. Place the bars on a plate or baking sheet. Place them in the freezer and let them get hard. Once the bars are frozen, wrap them in plastic wrap and the maple pecan bars can last for up to a month.
Variations to Pecan Maple Bars
There are a few exciting ways you can put a twist on classic Maple Pecan Bars:
- Chocolate Drizzle:Enhance the flavor by drizzling a layer of melted chocolate over the top. The combination of chocolate and maple will be a delightful treat.
- Coconut Crunch: Add shredded coconut to the crust or sprinkle it on top of the filling before baking. This adds a tropical twist and a pleasant crunch.
- Spiced Infusion: Mix warm fall spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into the filling for a cozy autumn flavor profile.
- Bourbon Bliss: For an adult version, add a splash of bourbon to the filling. The rich flavors will mingle beautifully with the maple and pecans.
- Salted Caramel Drizzle: Top the bars with a drizzle of salted caramel sauce before serving. The contrast between the sweet caramel and the nutty pecans will be irresistible.
- Nut Variety: Experiment with different nuts alongside pecans, such as walnuts or almonds, for a unique flavor and texture combination.
- Fruit Fusion: Introduce dried fruits like cranberries or raisins to the filling for a burst of tangy sweetness that complements the maple and pecans.
- Oatmeal Crumble: Create an oatmeal crumble topping by mixing oats, brown sugar, and butter. This adds a rustic touch and a delightful contrast in textures.
- Mini Pies: Transform the bars into mini pies by using a muffin tin. Press the crust into the bottom and up the sides, then fill with the maple pecan mixture and bake. These mini pies make for adorable individual servings.
More Maple Flavored Desserts
- Pancake and Maple Bacon Cupcakes
- Butternut Squash Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Maple Snickerdoodles & Soft and Chewy
- Pumpkin Pie Croissants with Maple Glaze
- Maple Sausage Corn Muffins
Maple Pecan Bars
Pecan Pie Filling
Shortbread Crust Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper
- Using a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the powdered sugar, flour, salt, vanilla and butter until combined and it looks like crumbs
- Mold the dough into a ball
- Press the dough into the baking dish to form a crust
- Bake the crust in the oven for 15-20 minutes
Pecan Pie Filling Directions
- Using a medium saucepan over medium to high heat, combine the butter, brown sugar and maple syrup
- Stir the mixture until melted and the sugar is dissolved
- Bring to a slight boil and allow to boil for 1 minute
- Remove from heat and stir in the heavy whipping cream
- Fold in the chopped pecans
- Pour over the shortbread crust and spread evenly
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 or until the mixture is set!
- Allow to cool to room temperature before moving into the fridge overnight
Maple Glaze Directions
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and heavy whipping cream until combined and smooth
- Pour over the cooled bars
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans onto the bars
- Allow glaze to set for 1 hour before cutting and enjoying!