Who knew it was so simple to make pizza sauce at home? From start to finish in less than 15 minutes, you can make this Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe from scratch with simple ingredients you can keep on hand in the pantry.
Pizza Sauce Recipe
We love to make homemade pizza, and now we also make our own pizza sauce. It’s so quick to do and allows you to customize the flavor and ingredients so you know exactly what’s in your sauce. This Pizza Sauce Recipe is our absolute favorite and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too!
Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the easy to print recipe card):
- Extra virgin olive oil – I used an organic olive oil, but any extra virgin olive oil you like will work.
- Fresh garlic – fresh garlic is really the best to use for this recipe. Be sure to use a garlic press for the easiest way to mince the garlic.
- Canned tomato paste – the tomato paste adds to the rich tomato flavor of the sauce.
- Canned crushed tomatoes – any variety that you like is good.
- Fresh basil – if you don’t have fresh basil, you can use 1 teaspoon dried basil instead.
- Dried oregano – this spice adds a wonderful flavor to the sauce.
- Salt and black pepper – season your sauce to your taste.
- Granulated sugar – this is optional and if you’re eating a low sugar or keto diet, you can skip the sugar completely. Sometimes tomato sauces need a bit of sugar to mellow out the acidity of the tomatoes, but the beauty of making your own sauce is that you can decide how much sugar you want to use.
How to Make Homemade Pizza Sauce
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for a few seconds until fragrant, then stir in the tomato paste. Cook the garlic and tomato paste in the olive oil for 1 minute, stirring often.
Add the crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, add granulated sugar to taste, one tablespoon at a time.
Cover the pot and simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.
Ways to Use this Pizza Sauce Recipe
There are so many ways to use the sauce other than on pizza! Here are a few ideas:
- Dipping sauce for bread
- Over pasta
- Dipping mozzarella sticks
- With eggs
- Dipping sauce for toasted ravioli
- Gift giving – Fill a large gift basket with pizza crust mix, mozzarella cheese, pizza toppings, and some items like a dish towel, pizza pan, and oven mitts, then add a big jar of this sauce and a card with pizza making instructions. Be sure to let the recipient know to refrigerate the fresh sauce and when it will expire.
How to Store the Sauce
Keep the sauce in an airtight food storage container or a jar with a lid. Refrigerate the sauce for up to 5 days or freeze for up to three months.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Loaded Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Taco Seasoned Crackers
- The Best Banana Pudding Recipe
- Crockpot Crack Chicken Recipe
Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: granulated sugar to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and saute for a few seconds until fragrant, then stir in the tomato paste. Cook the garlic and tomato paste in the olive oil for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, add granulated sugar to taste, one tablespoon at a time.
- Cover the pot and simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Use the sauce immediately, or refrigerate for 5 days or free for 3 months.