We can all use a delicious dessert to share with our friends and family this time of year. If you like hot chocolate, then this recipe may be the best choice for you. These Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are so good and may just become a favorite in your household.
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
This Hot chocolate cupcake recipe is super easy to make! You will have the moistest, most fluffy, and flavorful cupcakes. These cupcakes will taste as you bought them from a bakery and your loved ones will be so surprised to hear that you made them at home. Save this recipe for any occasion!
- Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake Mix- The cake mix will help with a faster process.
- Chocolate Instant Pudding- You can buy instant pudding for a faster baking process or make your own.
- Eggs- You will need your eggs to be room temperature.
- Water- This will be mixed into your cupcake batter.
- Canola oil- You can use vegetable oil for a substitute or vice versa.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips– You will need mini chocolate chips for this recipe.
- Marshmallows- You will need to get the large marshmallows for these cupcakes.
- Peppermint crunch sprinkles- You can buy crunch sprinkles or holiday sprinkles.
- Holiday Straws- These will be inserted into the cupcakes when they are finished for decoration.
- Powdered sugar- This sugar is perfect for homemade frostings.
- Cocoa powder- You will need to buy unsweetened cocoa powder for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract- Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Set your oven to 325 degrees and use cupcake liners to line a pan.
Add the cake mix, instant pudding, eggs, water, and oil into a large mixing bowl and combine using a stand or and mixer.
Pour in the chocolate chips and mix until well combined.
Fill up the cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full with batter using a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop or spoon.
Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Take out the cupcakes and place a large marshmallow into the middle of each one and spin just a bit to push into the cupcake.
Allow the marshmallows to melt by baking for an additional 2 minutes in the oven.
Take the cupcake back out and gently press to push the marshmallow deeper into the cupcake to melt and fill the extra room around the cupcake.
Place the pan aside for 10 minutes before placing on a cooling rack.
You will begin to make the frosting while your cookies are cooling.
Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, water, and vanilla to a bowl and mix until smooth.
You will have indents in the marshmallows, fill that area with mini chocolate chips.
Then, dollop some frosting on top.
Cut the marshmallows in half to place a half on each finished cupcake and drizzle more frosting on top.
Add some peppermint crunch or holiday sprinkles for garnish.
Take out the holiday straws and cut them into 3rds to insert into the finished cupcakes.
Once the cupcakes are cooled thoroughly, serve, and enjoy!
What’s the Best Chocolate for Hot Chocolate Flavor?
So, for these hot chocolate cupcakes, you will be using cake mix and instant chocolate pudding for your chocolate flavoring. However, there are many types of different brands of hot chocolate drinks. The best chocolate to use is something that will not be too thick or too thin and dark chocolate probably works the best for that.
What Icing Should I Put on These Cupcakes?
These Hot chocolate cupcakes already have an amazing frosting for this recipe. The frosting is very simple and quick to make and perfect for this recipe. All you need is powdered sugar, cocoa, water, and vanilla.
More Cupcake Ideas
- Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Cupcakes
- Maple Bacon Cupcakes Recipe
- Boston Cream Cupcakes
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1 Chocolate Instant Pudding 3.9 oz box
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 12 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 package of large marshmallows
- Peppermint crunch sprinkles or holiday sprinkles
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Holiday Straws
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, instant pudding, eggs, water, and canola oil with a stand or hand mixer.
- Add in chocolate chips and mix well.
- Using a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop or spoon, fill cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full with the chocolate batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and put a large marshmallow in the center of each cupcake and twist a little to push them into the cupcake.
- Put the cupcakes back into the oven for 2 minutes to let the marshmallows melt.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and press the marshmallow down (this will help the marshmallow melt on the inside of the cupcake and fill in the extra space around the cupcake).
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the cupcake pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting by combining the powdered sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, water, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Fill the marshmallow indention with mini chocolate chips and then cover the chocolate chips with frosting.
- Cut large marshmallows in half and put half of a marshmallow on each cupcake and drizzle with frosting.
- Garnish with Peppermint Crunch or Holiday Sprinkles.
- Cut holiday straws in thirds and insert them into the cupcakes.
- Let cupcakes cool completely and enjoy!