Indulge in the mouthwatering flavors of Italian Sub Pasta Salad – a delightful fusion of a classic deli Italian sub sandwich and refreshing pasta salad. Also referred to as a Hoagie salad and Grinder Salad, this satisfying combination is a favorite no matter what you call it.
Italian Hoagie Pasta Salad
Just imagine the delightful combination of tender pasta, tantalizing Italian deli meats like ham, salami and pepperoni, velvety cheese, and an array of vibrant veggies, all tossed together in a tangy, herb-infused dressing. Each bite is the perfect combination of flavors and textures, with the robust meats adding a savory punch, the cheese bringing a creamy richness, and the crisp vegetables providing a refreshing crunch. It’s like having your favorite deli sub transformed into a pasta salad extravaganza!
The best part about the Italian Sub Pasta Salad is its versatility. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue, packing a picnic for a day at the beach, or simply craving a satisfying and fuss-free meal, this dish has got you covered. It’s incredibly easy to prepare and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Feel free to play around with different types of pasta, experiment with various deli meats and cheeses, and add your favorite veggies to make it your own signature creation.
What Pasta Salad Ingredients You Need
- Pasta: Typically I use tri colored rotini pasta, but you can technically use whatever you like. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Rinse in cold water.
- Veggies: Cucumber, Green bell pepper, Red bell pepper, Cherry tomatoes, Red onion, Fresh spinach, and Sweet and hot salad peppers
- Italian Sub Fillings: Deli ham, Salami, Pepperoni, and Provolone cheese
- Dressing: Mayonnaise, Italian dressing
- Seasonings: Italian seasoning, Black pepper, Grated parmesan cheese and Parsley
How to Make Easy Pasta Salad Recipe
- Make the Salad: Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and then pour over the salad. Toss to combine. Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
- Make the dressing: In a medium mixing bowl, mix the salad dressing ingredients.
- Combine: Pour the dressing over the hoagie salad and gently toss to combine. Once combined, cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate: Chill the hoagie salad in the fridge for about 4 hours. When you’re ready to serve, sprinkle with optional chopped parsley, and toss once more. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Italian Hoagie Pasta Salad
This pasta salad could easily be a meal all of its own but if you are serving it at a backyard BBQ, summer cookout or potluck, it is a great side dish too. It goes great with:
Variations to This Recipe
When it comes to the Italian Sub Pasta Salad, the possibilities for creative variations are endless.
Mediterranean Twist: Add a Mediterranean flair to your pasta salad by incorporating some black olives, crumbled feta cheese, and a handful of fresh basil leaves. Drizzle it with a lemon-herb vinaigrette for a tangy and refreshing twist.
Veggie Delight: If you’re looking for a lighter option, amp up the veggie factor! Toss in some roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, and marinated mushrooms. You can even add some grilled zucchini or eggplant for extra depth of flavor.
Caprese Style: Take inspiration from the classic Caprese salad and transform your Italian Sub Pasta Salad into a Caprese masterpiece. Simply replace the deli meats with fresh mozzarella pearls, cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves. Dress it with a balsamic glaze for a touch of sweetness.
Southwest Kick: Give your pasta salad a spicy kick by adding some diced jalapeños, black beans, corn kernels, and a squeeze of lime juice. Top it off with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro for a Southwestern twist.
Pesto Passion: If you’re a fan of pesto, incorporate it into your pasta salad for an explosion of herbal goodness. Mix in some homemade or store-bought pesto sauce, roasted pine nuts, and sun-dried tomatoes. It’s a vibrant and aromatic variation that will transport your taste buds to Italy.
More Delicious Pasta Salad Recipes
Italian Sub Pasta Salad
- 1 pound tri colored rotini cooked to box directions and drained
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 1 cup sweet and hot salad peppers
- ¼ pound ham deli ham diced
- ¼ pound salami diced
- 1 cup pepperoni diced
- ½ pound provolone cheese diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 16 ounce Italian dressing
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- Parsley optional
- In a large bowl combine the cooked pasta, cucumber, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, spinach, salad peppers, salami, pepperoni, ham and cheese.
- In a smaller bowl combine the mayonnaise, dressing, italian seasoning, black pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta and vegetables and toss to combine.
- Chill for 4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with parsley, optional.