Lemon Brownies are my new favorite dessert. Topped with a delicious lemon glaze, they are just the right mix of fresh lemon and sweetness.
As much as I am crazy for chocolate, I do love finding new ways to bake without that classic ingredient. It’s fun to spice it up and try something new! Lemon is a fun way to do that.
This recipe is going to look a lot like your usual brownie recipe, but of course no cocoa or chocolate chips. You’ll mix together your dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately before combining making sure to add one egg at a time.
If you’re new to lemon zesting, it is easiest to use the tool made for this job: a lemon zester. (Genius name, right?) But if you don’t have one and are in a pinch a veggie peeler will work. Make sure you wash your lemon before.
Lemon Brownies Glaze
This is the most yummy part of all – the glaze! All you need is three ingredients: lemon zest, lemon juice and powdered sugar. It’s very sweet and a bit tangy at the same time.
You’re going to adore these lemon brownies, and all your friends will be begging for the recipe!
- 1 C unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
Lemon Glaze Ingredients
- 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest until light and fluffy
- Beat in eggs, one at a time until combined
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until combined
- Pour batter into the baking pan and bake in the oven for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. Make sure to not over bake.
- Allow to completely cool on the counter
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest until combined
- Pour the glaze over the lemon bars and spread evenly
- Allow to harden overnight before enjoying!