This easy Rotel Dip recipe is an all-time favorite snack that is incredibly simple to make. You only 4 ingredients and it all comes together to create a flavor-packed dip perfect with tortilla chips!
Cheesy Rotel Dip with Ground Beef
Whenever we’re wanting a snack for movie night or a party or just for an afterschool bite, everyone always asks for this Rotel Dip with Ground Beef! It’s a hearty and filling snack that’s so simple to make. Serve this simple dip with crackers, pretzels, tortilla chips – whatever you like!
What is Rotel Dip?
Rotel dip is basically a combination between queso and salsa with seasoned ground beef added for good measure! Just add tortilla chips or even bagel chips or pita chips. I’m telling you when you pair the crunch of your favorite chip with the creaminess of this dip recipe you’ll be completely hooked.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Rotel Dip with Ground Beef (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the easy-to-print recipe card):
- Ground beef – It’s best to use a lean ground beef if possible.
- Taco seasoning – Any dry taco seasoning you like will work perfectly.
- Velveeta cheese – The recipe uses 16 ounces, which is exactly the size of the small package of Velveeta. If you have a larger package, just use 16 ounces and reserve the rest of the cheese for another use.
- Rotel – We used the original Rotel, but you can use another variety if you like. Rotel tomatoes are petite diced tomatoes with chilies and spices added in.
- Meat: You could also use ground chicken or ground turkey instead of ground beef. Sausage crumbled up is another tasty version!
- Cheese: If you don’t have Velveeta cheese you can also use 8 oz of cream cheese. Just cut it into cubes and then mix it into your dip until the cream cheese has melted and incorporated with all the other ingredients.
- More creaminess: If you want your rotel dip to be even creamier, you can add an brick of cream cheese in addition to the Velveeta cheese.
How to Make Rotel Dip
Are you ready to make this creamy, cheesy dip? Let’s get to it:
- Cook the meat. Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet and cook over medium heat until fully browned. Drain off the grease. Add the taco seasoning and ¼ cup of water to the ground beef and stir to combine.
- Add the cheese. Next, add the cubed Velveeta and stir often until fully melted and combined with the ground beef.
- Add the RoTel (do not drain) to the skillet. Stir well.
- Serve. You can serve this dip immediately or transfer to a slow cooker set to warm.
You can really go to town with this! For gatherings, I like to place the dip in a big bowl with all sorts of dipping options plated around it. Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- Tortilla chips
- Fritos – The Scoops variety are perfect!
- Blue corn tortilla chips
- Fresh veggies
- Bagel chips
- Pita chips
- Quesadillas – Cut into wedges for easy dipping.
- Flautas – These are crunchy flour tortillas filled with cheese, mashed beans, chicken or shredded beef.
- Tacos and Burritos – Rotel Dip with Ground Beef also makes an amazing taco or burrito filling!
Can I Make Rotel Dip Ahead?
Yes, you can make the dip and then keep it warm in your slow cooker! Just make the dip as described above, then pour it into your slow cooker and set it to warm. This is a simple trick for parties and get togethers.
How to Store the Leftovers
- Fridge: Keep the leftover Rotel dip in an airtight food storage container. Refrigerate it for up to three days.
- Freezer: We have found that the dip does not freeze well.
- To reheat: Scoop the dip into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until hot or microwave individual portions on high for 30 seconds at a time until hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are RoTel tomatoes spicy?
Yes they do have a bit of a spicy kick to them, but nothing too intense.
Can I make this recipe in the crockpot?
You sure can. Simply cook the meat as directed, then transfer everything to your crockpot and cook on low for 2-3 hours. Make sure you stir it occasionally until all the cheese has melted. Once the dip is creamy and warm, set the crockpot to the warm setting to prevent your dip from burning.
More Recipes You Will Love
Easy Rotel Dip Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 16 ounces Velveeta cubed
- 10.5 ounce can Ro*Tel
- Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet and cook over medium heat until fully browned. Drain off the grease.
- Add the taco seasoning and ¼ cup of water to the ground beef and stir to combine.
- Add the cubed Velveeta and stir often until fully melted and combined with the ground beef.
- Add the Ro*Tel (do not drain) to the skillet and stir well.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a slow cooker set to warm.