This Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese is a fun twist on a classic grilled cheese and also includes dill pickles! The combination is perfection and a favorite with kids and adults.
Dill Pickle Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are the ultimate comfort food! Super easy homemade sloppy joe mixture and melted cheese inside crispy buttery slices of bread. You’ll find yourself making this sandwich on a regular basis.
Watch The Recipe Video!
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Pickles – you will need dill pickles. You can always leave this part out, but we highly recommend adding the pickles.
- Beef Mixture – ground beef, onion, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bread – we like to use thick white bread slices. Texas toast bread is a great option.
- Cheese – we use shredded cheddar cheese. You can also used sliced cheese as well.
- Butter – salted or unsalted butter is fine to use.
How To Make A Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
- First, make the sloppy joe meat mixture. Start by cooking the lean ground beef and onions in a skillet until the beef is no longer pink. Once it’s cooked through, drain it and add in ketchup and mustard, seasonings, sugar and Dill pickles.
- Next, warm a separate skillet (or griddle) and butter each of your pieces of bread.
- Now, we start to assemble a grilled cheese like normal, except we’re using shredded cheese. Add a third a cup of cheese on top of the bread and then a big scoop of sloppy joe sauce on top of that. Add the other piece of bread and let it heat for a couple of minutes before flipping.
What Kind of Cheese Should I Use?
Our favorite for this particular grilled cheese is straight up cheddar. However, if you love a good kick of spice, pepper jack cheese has great flavor that goes with the pickles.
Besides that, you could add two kinds of cheese. Make this delicious sandwich however you like best!
Can I Make This Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese Recipe In The Oven?
You totally can, but since this one is loaded with ingredients, make sure it doesn’t run over the pan.
Other Warm Sandwiches You Will Love
If you like new warm sandwich recipes for dinner this one is a great option.
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese with Dill Pickles
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil until shimmering.
- Add in the ground beef and onions.
- Cook 3-5 minutes, or until the beef is cooked through. Drain grease.
- Mix in the ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, seasonings, and pickles. Remove from heat.
- Heat a separate skillet over medium heat.
- Spread about 1/2 tablespoon of softened butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- To assemble, place one slice of bread face down on the skillet.
- Add about 1/3 cup of cheese to the top of the bread. Spoon on a heaping 1/2 cup of sloppy joe mixture.
- Sprinkle on an additional 1/3 cup of shredded cheese, and top with another slice of bread (buttered side up).
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients and serve immediately.