Strawberry Lemon Blondies with strawberry frosting are full of fresh flavor. With just the right amount of sweet and sour, these bars are a delicious treat everyone will love!
Strawberry Lemon Blondies
Strawberries and lemons are wonderful together. The sweetness and the sour compliment each other so nicely, it’s no wonder these Strawberry Lemon Blondies are so good! They’re very simple to make from scratch and the homemade strawberry lemon frosting really take them over the top.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Strawberry Lemon Blondies (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Unsalted butter – salted butter would contain too much salt for this recipe. You’ll need to use unsalted and then add just the amount of salt called for in the recipe.
- Granulated sugar
- Fresh lemon juice
- Baking powder
- Fresh strawberries
- Powdered sugar
- Strawberry jelly – for this recipe you’ll need jelly, not jam. Strawberry jelly is smooth when melted while jam has chunks of strawberries which would not work for this recipe.
- Red food coloring – optional
How to Make Strawberry Lemon Blondies
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg. Now you will beat in the lemon juice, but be aware that it might not fully incorporate at this point, which is okay.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add this dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir well. Gently fold in the fresh strawberries.
Scoop the blondie batter into a 9×9-inch baking dish that has been prepared with parchment paper. Be sure to leave just enough parchment paper sticking up from two of the edges so you can easily lift the blondies out of the pan after baking.
Use a spoon to press the batter down evenly. If it gets sticky, lightly grease the back of the spoon with oil.
Bake the Strawberry Lemon Blondies at 350ºF for 30-35 minutes. Be sure you don’t over-bake them or they will be dry and crumbly. Just bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. You may want to start checking the blondies by about 25 minutes, just to be sure they don’t over-bake.
While the blondies are baking, melt the strawberry jelly in a small bowl in the microwave in 15 second increments until completely melted. Add the lemon juice and powdered sugar for the frosting and mix until smooth.
TIP: for a really bright pink frosting, add a couple drops of red or pink food coloring. The image below shows the very pale pink color of the frosting without food coloring, but the rest of the pictures of the finished blondies show the color of the frosting with the added food coloring.
Cool the blondies in the pan for at least 5 minutes, then lift out of the pan, cut into bars, and cool completely to room temperature.
Spread the frosting over top of the cooled bars.
Although we love the strawberries in these bars, they may not be right for you. In that case, try making them with raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries; all of these berries are wonderful with lemon!
How to Store Leftovers
Keep the leftover blondies in an airtight container. They will stay fresh at room temperature for up to three days.
More Recipes You Will Love
Strawberry Lemon Blondies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh strawberries diced (measure the 1 cup after dicing)
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jelly (not jam)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Red or pink food coloring optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x9-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving some sticking up from two sides to make it easier to lift the blondies out of the pan after baking.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg. Beat in the 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice. Be aware that the lemon juice might not fully incorporate.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix into the wet mixture until well combined. Gently fold in the fresh strawberries.
- Scoop the blondie dough into the prepared baking dish and gently spread out evenly.
- Bake the blondies at 350F for 30-35 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not over-bake. Let the blondies cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then lift out and cool completely to room temperature before cutting into bars.
- In a small bowl, melt the strawberry jelly in the microwave in 15 second increments, just until melted. Add the 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 cup powdered sugar; whisk until smooth. If desired, add a drop or two of red or pink food coloring for brighter color. Drizzle the frosting over top of the cooled blondies.