Easy Cheesy Taco Sticks
What’s for dinner? These delicious Cheesy Taco Sticks! You’ll love how easy it is to make soft, buttery breadsticks stuffed with taco meat and cheese. Dip them in salsa, sour cream, and guacamole for a super yummy dinner, lunch, or after school snack.
Cheesy Taco Sticks
We absolutely loved these Cheesy Taco Breadsticks! They were so simple to make and you can get your kids involved in the process. Although we call them breadsticks, they’re really more like a taco pizza stick. Pre-made pizza dough is the real winner here because you can keep it in your refrigerator for weeks to have whenever you want to make the taco sticks.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Cheesy Taco Breadsticks (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning – these seasoning packets are usually found in the Mexican food section of the grocery store.
- Pillsbury pizza dough – this will be in the refrigerated section with the biscuit and crescent roll dough.
- Colby jack cheese sticks – these are very similar to string cheese.
- Garlic powder
- Dried parsley
How to Make Cheesy Taco Breadsticks
You’ll start by browning the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Stir it often and break it down into crumbles with your spoon or spatula. Once the meat is cooked, drain off all of the fat then add the taco seasoning mix and stir well.
Prepare the cheese sticks by opening the packages and cutting the sticks in half.
Open the pizza dough and lay it out flat. Cut across the dough lengthwise, then cut each half into 5 rectangles to make a total of 10 equally sized pizza dough rectangles.
Scoop the cooled taco meat down the center of each rectangle of dough and top with half a cheese stick.
Pull the dough up over the cheese stick and pinch the seams closed to form a breadstick.
Place the taco sticks on a greased cookie sheet and baste with melted butter mixed with garlic powder and dried parsley.
TIP: for easier clean up, line the baking sheet with parchment paper and skip the greasing step.
Bake the taco sticks at 425ºF for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
Some of the cheese might bubble out of the ends of the breadsticks, but this is normal. Let the taco sticks cool slightly before serving.
What to Serve with Cheesy Taco Breadsticks
You will really love these Cheesy Taco Breadsticks as they are, but you might want to try a few variations. Here are some ideas:
More Heat – If you like spicy taco meat, add a few pinches of cayenne pepper until it reaches your desired heat.
Different Cheese – Cheese sticks come in so many different flavors, so you can use whatever you like. Give mozzarella or pepper jack a try.
Super Easy Meat – Some grocery stores carry pre-made taco meat. You’ll usually find this in the refrigerated area right near the meat. Using already prepared taco meat makes this easy recipe even faster!
How to Store Leftovers
I like to keep the leftover taco sticks in a zip top bag in the refrigerator, but you can use any airtight container. They will stay fresh for up to three days.
To reheat, place taco sticks in a single layer on a microwave safe plate and heat on high in the microwave in 30 second increments until warm. Another option is to place the sticks on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350ºF until warm.
More Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Cheesy Taco Sticks
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 tube refrigerated Pillsbury pizza dough
- 5 colby jack cheese sticks cut in half
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat, stirring often until completely cooked. Drain off the excess fat. Add the taco seasoning and stir well. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Lay the pizza dough out flat. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 5 equal rectangles to form a total of 10 rectangles.
- Spoon the cooled taco meat down the center of each rectangle, then top with half of a colby jack cheese stick.
- Roll the pizza dough up over the meat and cheese and pinch closed to form a breadstick.
- Place the taco sticks on the prepared baking sheet. Combine the butter, garlic powder, and dry parsley, then generously brush over top of the taco breadsticks.
- Bake at 425F for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.