How To Make Whipped Coffee (Dalgona Coffee)
Whipped Coffee is seriously the BEST thing ever! It takes only 5 minutes to make and it’s so fluffy and delicious! Also known as Dalgona Coffee, this easy coffee drink has a frothy layer on the top with chilled milk below it.
Homemade Whipped Dalgona Coffee
Have you heard of whipped coffee? Also known as “Dalgona Coffee,” this coffee drink has been a huge trend on social media lately! The craze started in South Korea when people started making whipped coffee at home to replace their usual coffee shop routine. Then it took off in America after the Los Angeles Times wrote about it. Well, with that much buzz you just know I had to try it!
What is Dalgona Coffee? What Does it Taste Like?
Dalgona Coffee is a frothy coffee drink that is usually enjoyed chilled. Instant coffee powder is beaten along with sugar and water until is creamy, light, and fluffy. Then this layer is spooned on top of iced milk. Because the density of this “whipped coffee layer” is so much lighter than the milk, it floats on top. It tastes a bit like a Starbucks Frappucino, except it looks prettier!
Now one thing people often wonder is: how do I drink this? The answer is that you stir the frothy coffee layer into the iced milk layer. This infuses the cold milk with coffee flavor but also lends a fluffiness factor that you wouldn’t get with a typical iced coffee. In fact, the frothy texture is what inspired the name “Dalgona Coffee.” Dalgona is actually a kind of South Korean candy with a spongey texture that resembles the way whipped coffee looks when it’s all mixed together.
Whipped Coffee only takes just 5-minutes! Here’s what you’ll need to make it in your own kitchen. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for specific amounts.
- Instant Coffee Powder – You have to use instant coffee to make a proper Dalgona coffee drink. (Although there are recipe variations that do not use coffee, more on that below.) You can’t use regular ground coffee, even if you grind it into teeny tiny bits.
- Granulated Sugar – Sugar helps stabilized the whipped layer so don’t leave it out. You can also use brown sugar but the coffee layer won’t be as fluffy. Regular old white sugar works best!
- Water – The water should be HOT to help the instant coffee and sugar dissolve evenly.
- Milk – You can use cow milk or any plant-based milk.
- Ice cubes
Can I use caffeine-free instant coffee?
Yes! You can use a decaf instant coffee or even hot chocolate powder for a creamy chocolate version. Below I’ve even detailed out some other non-coffee versions of the beverage to try.
How to Make Whipped Coffee
Start by mixing the coffee powder, sugar, and hot water using a whisk. I like to combine the coffee and sugar first, then add the hot water. You’ll need to mix this quite well! By hand, you are looking at about 4 minutes of vigorous whisking. But you can also use a stand mixer or a hand-held electric mixer. In this case, it will take 1-2 minutes to get that light and fluffy coffee layer.
Add ice to a glass and pour in the milk. How much ice you use is up to you. I like to add a generous amount so that the milk gets nice and cold.
Then top with your whipped coffee. You can use a rubber spatula, large spoon, or even a cookie dough scoop to gently add the whipped coffee layer on top of the iced milk.
That’s it! SO EASY and delicious!
- Whipped Hot Chocolate: Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar and hot chocolate mix/cocoa with four tablespoons of whipping cream. Whisk together the ingredients until you get a nice fluffy mixture either by hand or with an electronic whisk. Add the creamy chocolate mix to the top of a cup of hot milk. Mix together and enjoy!
- Matcha Whipped Latte: In a small bowl, beat 1 tablespoon of matcha powder, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon Dream Whip, and 1 to 2 tablespoons of Milk. Spoon the mixture on top of chilled milk.
- Different Flavors: Add coffee flavor syrups of your choice to the milk before adding the whipped coffee.
- Keto Whipped Coffee: For a sugar-free and keto-friendly version, follow the instructions as usual, but replace the sugar with Swerve. You will need to use heavy whipping cream instead of milk. You can also add some sugar-free coffee flavoring to the heavy cream.
Can I Make Whipped Coffee in Advance?
Actually, yes. You will need to whip the coffee layer really, really well. Use a stand mixer or hand-held mixer to get it as fluffy as possible, then gently transfer the whipped coffee to an airtight container and store it in the fridge. It will keep for 1-2 days, though of course the sooner you use it the fluffier it will be. (If you store it for too long it will turn back into liquid coffee.)
My recommendation would be to make the whipped layer at most a day in advance. So for example, you could make it the night before for an easy Dalgona coffee drink first thing in the morning!
Can I Use Warm Milk?
Yes, as I mentioned earlier in this post you can also enjoy this drink warm. Simply leave out the step where you add the ice and then warm your milk on the stovetop or in the microwave before spooning the whipped layer on top. Now you have a cozy drink for chilly mornings!
Whipped Coffee (Dalgona Coffee)
- 3 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 3 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp water hot
- 4 cups milk
- ice cubes
- In a small bowl, mix instant coffee powder and sugar. Add 2 tbsp water and beat the coffee and sugar until it is light and fluffy using a whisk. Add a few more drops of water while beating the coffee if needed.
- Fill a glass with ice cubes. Then pour in the milk. Top the milk with whipped coffee.
- Mix and serve chilled.