These Grinch Cookies are vibrant green Holiday cookies made with Betty Crocker Sugar cookie mix and topped with heart sprinkles.
Christmas Sugar Cookies
These cookies are a festive treat that can be made for Christmas events or enjoyed while watching a movie. They only need a few ingredients to make it and can be ready in just minutes. You can make these cookies ahead of time and store the dough in the fridge or freezer until you need them.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Sugar Cookie Mix: I like to use Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix for the best quality or make our popular Homemade Sugar Cookies.
Green Food Coloring: I would recommend using gel food coloring as it blends a lot easier into the dough.
Heart Sprinkles: You can use sprinkles or grinch heart candy to add on top of the cookies.
How To Make Grinch Cookies
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line a baking sheet. Add the cookie mix, softened butter, egg, and water into a large mixing bowl and combine until crumbly. Put in 40 drops of the green food coloring or until you reach your desired color. Stir until fully incorporated and a soft dough forms. I like to use my hands to finish mixing to make the dough come together easier.
Step 2. Portion the dough using a 2-Tbsp cookie scoop. I like heaping scoops for thicker cookies, but you can use level scoops. Use your hands to roll the dough in sugar and arrange them onto the sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure to not flatten them, this will keep them thick. Place the cookies into the oven for 8-9 minutes to bake. Once done, take it out of the oven right away and place 1 heart on each cookie.
Step 3. Feel free to use a cookie cutter or your fingers to shape the cookies. Allow the baked cookies to rest on the baking tray for 10 minutes to cool before placing them on a wire rack. Serve and enjoy!
How To Decorate Grinch Cookies?
I love decorating Christmas cookies because there are so many festive ways to do it. This bright green cookie is decorated with heart sprinkles, but you can also use white and red frosting to make the Grinch’s Santa suit.
Tips & Tricks
- The sugar cookie mix says to set the oven to 375 degrees, but i prefer baking at 350 degrees for just 9 minutes for a soft cookie.
- If you need to soften your butter, you can place in a heat-safe bowl for 20 seconds in the microwave. If it needs a bit more time, you can cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place the leftover cookies into an airtight container for the best storage method.
More Grinch Recipes:
- 1 21-oz. package Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix (or Homemade Sugar Cookies)
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup sugar to roll cookies in – optional
- green food coloring
- Heart sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar cookie mix, softened butter, egg, and water together. Mix until crumbly.
- Once crumbly, add about 40 drops of green food dye (or until the color green of your preference).
- Mix well until the color is fully combined and creates a soft dough. I used my hands to finish mixing the cookie dough to help it come together.
- Use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop to create heaping scoops of cookie dough (you can do level scoops and create more cookies, I just wanted my cookies thick).
- Gently roll dough balls in the sugar and place them on the prepared baking sheet (do not press cookies down, keep them in balls so they bake thick).
- Bake for 8-9 minutes. Immediately remove cookies from the oven and add 1 heart sprinkle to each cookie. You can also shape cookies with a cookie cutter or use your fingers to push the edges in a little.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.