Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats will satisfy your craving for something sweet and something salty! These cereal treats are so easy to make. Delicious snack bars of crisp rice with marshmallow topped with creamy caramel and coarse salt will be your new go-to dessert recipe.
Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispies Treats are an all-American favorite. We love them so much and this delicious twist makes them an extra special treat. Sweet, creamy caramel poured over the crispy bars and then topped with sea salt–just heavenly!
Even better, these are so easy to make because you’ll use your microwave. Just two bowls and one pan, plus less than 30 minutes from start to finish and you have a yummy salted caramel snack!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Mini marshmallows
- Rice Krispies cereal
- Kraft caramels
- Coarse sea salt
How To Make Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
Start by pouring the mini marshmallows and the butter into a microwave safe bowl. Make sure it’s large enough because the marshmallows will at least double in volume while in the microwave. Heat on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds, then stir well.
Pour the marshmallow mixture and the Rice Krispies into a large bowl and mix well.
Press the Rice Krispies mixture into a greased 9×13-inch glass pan.
In a medium microwave safe bowl, heat the caramels and milk on high heat in the microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds.
Stir the hot caramels and milk well until smooth.
Pour the caramel sauce over the Rice Krispies Treats.
Sprinkle the top of the caramel rice krispies with coarse sea salt.
Allow the Rice Krispie Treats to set at room temperature for about 15 minutes, then cut and serve.
How to Cut the Rice Krispies Treats
Cutting the gooey treats can be a bit challenging. We had the best success by lifting the whole block of Rice Krispies Treats out of the pan and cutting them on a large cutting board. Use a long, sharp knife. You can also butter the knife before cutting to make it easier to cut through the sticky bars.
How to Store Leftovers
Keep leftover Caramel Rice Krispie Bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. You can also store them in the refrigerator, but bring them to room temperature before eating.
More Recipes You Will Love
- Sweet Tea Sangria
- Instant Pot Fettuccini Bolognese
- Banana Pudding Cookies
- Antipasto Skewers Appetizer
Salted Caramel Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 11 ounce package Kraft caramels unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons milk
- coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Prepare a 9x13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Place the butter and marshmallows in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat on high in the microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds until the marshmallows are melted and puffed up; stir well until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Rice Krispies and the marshmallow mixture; scoop into the prepared glass baking dish and press down evenly.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine the caramels and the milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute and 20 seconds. Stir well until completely smooth. If the caramel is not incorporating well into the milk, keep heating the mixture in the microwave in 10 second increments, stirring well between each heating until smooth.
- Pour the melted caramel sauce over the Rice Krispies treats. Sprinkle the top with coarse sea salt; set aside for 15 minutes to set. Cut into 16 bars and serve.