Have you ever thought of making a breakfast cake? No, not the coffee cake type, but a savory breakfast bundt cake. You are going to love this breakfast casserole. Full of flavor, filling and delicious, this is a must-try savory breakfast cake.
We spotted this idea from Melody Cooks. The site is no longer around so there wasn’t a recipe, so we made our own version. We ended up loving it and it’s so simple to make!
Savory Breakfast Bundt Cake
I love breakfast casseroles. They make breakfast so much easier to serve. Everything in one simple dish is a perfect way to enjoy your favorite breakfast foods, conveniently.
I especially love a savory breakfast cake that is easy to make and tastes even better. This is one of those cakes! I know my kids absolutely love this breakfast. What’s not to love about serving cake for breakfast? Making it a savory breakfast is tons of fun!
Do I have to use a bundt pan for this breakfast casserole recipe?
This breakfast casserole is made in a bundt pan but if you wanted to use a casserole dish you certainly could. The most important thing to consider when you are making this casserole recipe in another style of pan is that the cooking time changes depending on the pan. Just be sure to check the casserole to make sure it isn’t getting overdone or is done enough.
Is this a good make-ahead breakfast casserole?
I love it when I can make breakfast ahead. It saves me time in the mornings but also gives my family a warm meal to start their day. All you have to do is prepare as directed right up to the time you pop it into the oven. Instead of baking, wrap it well and refrigerate until time to cook the following day.
You can also bake this completely, allow it to cool, then wrap individual servings and reheat them as needed in the microwave. I prefer heating in 30-second increments until it is fully heated, so I don’t overcook it in the microwave.
Can I make this for a Christmas morning breakfast?
This is a great Christmas morning breakfast. Because you can make this breakfast ahead, you can combine everything the night before and then bake it in the morning when you are ready. This makes it a simple Christmas breakfast that lets you have a great tasting savory breakfast without keeping you away from the family.
Ingredients for savory breakfast casserole
- baby spinach
- frozen shredded hash browns
- sweet Hawaiian bread
- green onions
- low-fat milk
- heavy cream
- cheddar and Colby jack cheese
How to make a savory breakfast cake
Gather your ingredients and begin by preheating your oven and preparing your bundt pan with non-stick spray.
Once you have everything on hand, you’ll saute your spinach and garlic to soften before mixing in the hash browns and cooking until slightly browned. You will let everything cool before you begin layering the bread, ham, vegetables, and cheese into the bundt pan before baking.
Savory Breakfast Bundt Cake
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Spray bundt pan with non stick baking spray.
- In a large saute' pan add olive oil, and baby spinach.
- Sauté over medium high heat until the spinach is wilted.
- Add your minced garlic and toss to combine with the spinach.
- Remove the spinach from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet add olive oil and fry the hash browns till lightly brown.
- Remove the hash browns from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Begin to build your breakfast bundt.
- First layer half of the diced bread.
- Then add your diced ham, green onions, spinach, hash browns and one cup of shredded cheese.
- Add the remaining bread cubes.
- In medium sized bowl add your eggs, milk, cream, salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour over the egg mixture over the bread in your bundt pan.
- Cover the bundt pan with foil and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.