With crispy, smoky bacon, green chiles, and lots of cheese, this Skillet Cheesy Corn recipe is a creamy, cheesy, and versatile side dish that comes together in just 30 minutes. A hit no matter whether you make it for the holidays or game day!
Easy Skillet Cheesy Corn with Bacon
This cheesy corn recipe is made with frozen corn, green chiles, bacon, and lots of cheese for a side dish that’s easy, cheesy, and packed with flavor. Heavy cream adds a smooth, creamy texture to the dish and the green chiles add just the right amount of heat.
This is a side dish that you can enjoy anytime. We’ve made it for the holidays but have also been known to make it for game day with a side of chips for dipping. It pairs nicely with our Dr Pepper pulled pork too, for a casual weeknight dinner.
Why You’ll Love This Cheesy Corn Recipe
Here are a few reasons we love this corn side dish so much.
- Quick and easy. This recipe comes together in just 30 minutes, with limited hands-on time, for an almost effortless side dish.
- Loaded with flavor. Green chiles, bacon, and lots of cheese give this cheesy corn a warm, salty flavor. You can also spice it up a bit with some cayenne pepper or jalapenos if desired.
- Versatile. Cheesy corn goes with pretty much everything, from holiday meals to burgers and hot dogs. It’s also a hit at potlucks and family gatherings and we’ve been known to enjoy it as a dip with chips!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
This corn side dish is made with just a handful of ingredients. Scroll down to the recipe card below for measurements.
- Corn – You can use frozen corn or corn fresh off the cob, whatever you choose.
- Butter – Butter adds a richness to the cheesy corn.
- Salt & pepper – To taste.
- Sugar – Adds a slight sweetness to balance out the savory flavors.
- Heavy cream – Makes the cheesy corn extra creamy.
- Scallions – For flavor as well as garnish.
- Green chiles – Add a bit of heat and flavor to the corn.
- Bacon – Cooked bacon adds more flavor and texture to this side dish.
- Mozzarella cheese – You can’t have cheesy corn without corn! Feel free to use other cheese as desired.
How To Make Cheesy Corn
This cheesy corn recipe comes together in just a few simple steps. See the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Cook the corn. Cook the corn and butter over medium heat until the corn is thawed. Stir in the sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Add the cream and cheese. Stir in the heavy cream, scallions, and chiles. Let simmer over medium heat for 8 minutes, so the cream thickens. Add in the chopped bacon and 3/4 of the cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Broil. Add the remaining cheese on top then place under the broiler for 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Enjoy. Garnish with more chopped scallions and enjoy.
Tips & Variations
Here are a few tips and variations for making this cheesy corn recipe.
- Fresh, canned, and frozen corn will all work. Just be sure to drain the canned corn first. If you make this during the summer, sweet corn off the cob is fantastic.
- Add some spice. The green chiles add just a hint of heat. If you’d like more, add in some diced jalapenos or cayenne pepper.
- Switch up the cheese. Pepper jack is another great option but any cheese, like Monterey Jack or an Italian blend, will work.
- Try a different meat. Ham makes a great alternative to the bacon in this recipe or you can omit the meat entirely for a vegetarian dish.
- Keep an eye on the broiler. The cheese will melt fast under the broiler, so keep a close eye on it as you want it browned but not burnt.
I also love to eat it as a dip as well, with some crusty bread or chips.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. Store leftover cheesy corn in the fridge for up to 3 days, either covered tightly with plastic wrap in the skillet or in an airtight container.
- Reheat. Reheat the whole skillet in the oven at 350F until warmed through or individual servings in the microwave.
More Corn Recipes To Try
Skillet Cheesy Corn
- In a large oven-proof skillet add your corn and butter.
- Cook over medium heat until the corn is thawed and the butter is melted.
- Next add in the sugar, salt, and pepper, and stir.
- Next add your heavy cream, scallions, and green chiles.
- Let the heavy cream thicken over medium heat for about 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Add in the cooked, chopped bacon and ¾ of the shredded cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Next, add the remaining cheese to the top of the corn and place the whole pan under the broiler for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melty and slightly browned.
- Garnish with more chopped scallions.