Are you searching for the Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe? You have come to the right place! This recipe gives you a creamy delicious pie made with warm spices. It’s a perfect classic pumpkin pie recipe for Thanksgiving dessert.
The Best Homemade Pumpkin Pie
There are few things better than a tasty pumpkin pie once Fall is in full swing. It is a staple in many American households – including mine! My kids always ask for this pumpkin pie as part of our Thanksgiving desserts. It’s so easy to make, and it’s an absolute classic. The warm spices complement the pumpkin flavor perfectly, and the smooth filling is a great contrast to the flaky, buttery crust. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!
Even though there are several pumpkin pie recipes out there, I love that this one is easy. I don’t always have the time to make homemade pie crust or homemade pumpkin puree. With this recipe, you can use store-bought, and it will still taste like it’s from scratch.
Ingredients You’ll Need
The ingredients needed for this homemade pumpkin pie are easy to find and inexpensive. I love that you can make it anytime with canned pumpkin!
- Pie Crust: You can use refrigerated crust or homemade pie crust.
- Brown Sugar: When you measure out the brown sugar, make sure it is packed tightly. I like to use light brown sugar in this recipe.
- Pumpkin Puree: Homemade pumpkin puree or canned will work great.
- Evaporated Milk
- Eggs: Make sure they are large eggs and are at room temperature before adding to the filling.
How To Make Pumpkin Pie
This is how I make the best pumpkin pie recipe – the ultimate Thanksgiving dessert. It’s so incredibly easy and quick to prepare.
- Step 1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2. If you make homemade pie crust, roll the dough on a floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Place it in a 9-inch deep dish pie pan and crimp the edges. Blind bake and cool to room temperature. This is a good time to use pie weights to help your crust bake evenly.
- Step 3. If using a store-bought crust, place it into a 9-inch deep dish pie pan and set it aside.
- Step 4. Whisk brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a large bowl.
- Step 5. Next, add pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, and eggs. Whisk until fully combined.
- Step 6. Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the pie shell.
- Step 7. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F. Continue to bake for an additional 40-45 minutes. It’s ready when the filling puffs and is slightly jiggly in the center.
- Step 8. Place on a wire rack and allow it to cool to room temperature.
How to Store Pumpkin Pie
If you make this homemade pumpkin pie recipe ahead of time, cover and refrigerate it for up to 2 days before serving. Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Tips and Tricks
- If you are using store-bought pie crust, you do not need to blind-bake it.
- I highly recommend using Libby’s pumpkin puree for the best flavor and color.
- Don’t have a deep dish pie plate? Use a shallow plate instead, but the filling will make two pies.
- An optional step before baking is brushing the edges of the pie crust with egg wash for more color.
- Cover the edges of the pie dough with aluminum foil if the crust is too dark while baking.
- Homemade pumpkin puree has more moisture than canned. Use a paper towel to soak up the excess before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients.
- Do not overbake the pie. It will cause the crust to burn and the filling to crack.
- Allow the pumpkin pie to completely cool to room temperature before serving. This will take approximately 2-3 hours. Chill overnight if baking ahead of time.
More Homemade Pie Recipes
Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- If using homemade pie crust, place dough on a flour surface and roll out into a 12 inch round. Place dough round into a 9 inch deep pie dish and then using fingers crimp edges all around the top of the pie crust. Blind bake pie crust and then let cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cloves and salt. Whisk mixture together.
- Add in pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, and eggs. Whisk until blended well.
- Pour mixture into cooled pie shell. You can egg wash the top of the crust before baking if you wish.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. The filling should be puffed and jiggles just slightly in the center when gently shaken. If the pie crust is getting too brown during baking, loosely cover with aluminum foil while baking.
- Cool on a wire rack once removed from the oven to room temperature.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
When using a store bought pie crust, you do not need to blind bake before adding pumpkin pie mixture.
I used Libby’s pumpkin puree in this recipe. It gives the best flavor and coloring.
If you choose to use a shallow pie plate, this recipe will make two pumpkin pies.
This recipe can be used with fresh pumpkin puree but make sure you use a paper towel to take out a lot of the moisture before adding to the other pie ingredients.
Make sure to keep a close eye on the pumpkin pie whole baking, you do not want to over bake the pie and you do not want the pie crust to burn.
To prevent cracking you do not want to overbake the pie.
Make sure the pie cools completely before serving, this will take 2-3 hours to do so.