Indulge in the ultimate comfort food with our Crockpot Frito Pie recipe. This hearty dish combines layers of flavorful chili, crispy Fritos, and melted cheese, slow-cooked to perfection. Easy to make and irresistibly delicious, this Slow Cooker Frito Pie is a crowd-pleaser that will satisfy your cravings. Get ready for a mouthwatering Tex-Mex delight that will have everyone asking for seconds!
Slow Cooker Frito Pie
Crockpot Frito pie is a scrumptious, soul-warming dish that takes comfort food to a whole new level. That’s what you get with Crockpot Frito Pie. Just imagine layers upon layers of savory chili, loaded with tender meat and aromatic spices, mingling with the perfect crunch of crispy Fritos. And let’s not forget about the gooey, melted cheese that blankets the entire creation, turning it into a melty, cheesy heaven. Whether you’re hosting a casual get-together, feeding your hungry family, or simply craving some comforting indulgence, Crockpot Frito Pie is the answer you’ve been looking for.
We also have a Baked Frito Pie Recipe if you rather use your oven.
What You Need
- For the Chili: You can use your favorite chili recipe, but for this recipe I am using lean ground beef, onion, peppers, chili seasoning, garlic, green chiles, beans, tomato sauce, sugar and corn starch. You can also try my favorite Cincinnati Chili recipe.
- Cheddar cheese
- Frito Corn chips
How to Make Crockpot Frito Pie
Make the chili: Brown the ground beef and drain the grease. Add ground beef mixture and the rest of the chili ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4- 6 hours.
Right before serving: 5 minutes before serving, stir in the cheese. Top with half of the corn chips and then the rest of the cheese. Cover until the cheese has melted.
Serve: Place the remaining chips on a plate and add the the Frito pie on top. Add your favorite toppings.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations for Crock Pot Frito Chili Pie
- Layer it up: To achieve the best flavors and textures, layer your ingredients. Start with a generous layer of Fritos at the bottom of your slow cooker, followed by a layer of chili, then another layer of Fritos, and continue until you run out of ingredients.
- Customize the chili: Experiment with different types of chili to suit your taste preferences. Whether it’s a classic beef chili, a spicy vegetarian version, ground turkey, or even a white chicken chili, the choice is yours. Adjust the seasonings and spices accordingly to enhance the flavors. If tacos are more you speed, you can also use a taco seasoning and make this more like a taco frito casserole.
- Spice it up: If you like a little kick, don’t be afraid to add some heat. Sprinkle in some cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or even diced jalapeños to give your Frito Pie a spicy twist.
- Toppings galore: Elevate your Frito Pie experience by adding an array of toppings. Some popular options include chopped fresh diced tomatoes or salsa and lettuce, chopped onions, sliced black olives, diced avocado or guacamole, sour cream, and fresh cilantro. Let everyone customize their own bowl with their favorite toppings.
- Crunchy perfection: To maintain the desired crunchiness of the Fritos, add them just before serving. This way, they retain their texture and provide a delightful contrast to the tender chili and melted cheese.
- Make it a meal: While Frito Pie is a fantastic standalone dish, you can turn it into a complete meal by serving it with a side of fresh salad, vegetables, like Easy Honey Glazed Carrots or Parmesan Zucchini, or even some honey cornbread muffins for a comforting and satisfying dinner.
Other Easy Crockpot Dinners:
- Crockpot Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chili Mac
- Crock-Pot Cubed Steak & Gravy
- Crockpot Crack Chicken with Bacon
- Slow Cooker Olive Garden Chicken & Pasta
Crockpot Frito Pie
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 ounce chili seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounce diced green chiles
- 15 ounce chili beans undrained
- 15 ounce black beans rinsed and drained
- 29 ounce tomato sauce
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 9.25 ounce corn chips
- Toppings scallions, sour cream, etc
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, brown and drain your ground beef.
- To your slow cooker add the ground beef, onion, bell peppers, chili seasoning, garlic, green chilies, chili beans, black beans, tomato sauce, cornstarch and sugar.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- 5 minutes before serving stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Top with half the bag of corn chips.
- Top the chips with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover just until the cheese melts.
- Place the remaining chips on your plates and spoon the frito pie on top.
- Top with your favorite toppings, serve!!