This Grinch Popcorn is sweet, salty and delicious! It’s easy and such a huge hit with kids and the grown-ups. Perfect for a movie night to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
White Chocolate Grinch Popcorn Recipe
Kids can really get into the holiday spirit by making this delightful Christmas snack mix on their own. It’s a wonderful activity that allows them to unleash their creativity and have a hands-on experience in the kitchen. As they follow the simple steps of mixing popcorn with vibrant green candy melts or white chocolate dyed green, they not only create a delicious treat but also a festive masterpiece. The joy of crafting this snack independently adds to the magic of the holiday season. Moreover, if you’re creating a holiday checklist akin to an advent calendar, this activity becomes a standout item to check off. It not only fills their tummies with yummy goodness but also fills their hearts with a sense of accomplishment, making it a cherished memory in the making.
For every holiday, we love making popcorn mixes. It’s just such a great festive snack to make. As many different popcorn snacks as we have made, this one is always the most popular! Because we love The Grinch so much, we have a BUNCH more Grinch recipes for you to try.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Popcorn– This can be bagged popcorn, microwave popcorn or popcorn kernels that are popped on the stove or in a popcorn machine.
- Candy Melts: You are going to need Bright Green Candy Melts, Wilton Green Candy Melts, and Wilton Yellow Candy Melts
- Candies: You want to grab Mini M&M’s and Red M&M’s, plus you will need Jumbo Red Heart Sprinkles
How to Make Grinch Popcorn
This is super easy. Grab your ingredients and let’s get ready for movie night!
Pop the popcorn. Homemade popcorn, store popped popcorn, stovetop popcorn, or microwaved.
Pour the green melted chocolate over the popcorn. Stir the popcorn and add in M&M’s and hearts.
Spread the popcorn mixture out on parchment paper over a baking sheet to let cool. Then add it to a large bowl.
Cut the yellow candy melts in half and stick a red M&M on top with a drop of cookie icing.
Hint: If you can not find the green candy melts, you can use melted white chocolate with green food coloring.
Variation– Use this recipe Popcorn Balls and use the green chocolate to make Grinch Popcorn Balls. Don’t forget the hearts.
How to Store
- Cool Completely: Allow the Grinch popcorn to cool completely before storing it. This helps prevent condensation inside the storage container, which can make the popcorn soggy.
- Airtight Container: Transfer the popcorn to an airtight container. A sealable plastic container or a resealable plastic bag works well. Make sure the container is completely airtight to maintain freshness.
- Avoid Moisture: Moisture is the enemy of popcorn. If the Grinch popcorn absorbs moisture from the air, it can become chewy and lose its crunchiness. Store the container in a cool, dry place, at room temperature, away from direct sunlight and other heat sources.
- Use Desiccants: If you have desiccants (those small packets that absorb moisture), you can place one or two inside the container to help keep the popcorn dry.
- Avoid Mixing with Other Snacks: If you’re storing different types of snacks, it’s best to keep them separate. Popcorn can absorb odors and flavors from other foods, which might alter its taste.
- Check for Freshness: Popcorn, even when stored properly, is best enjoyed fresh. Try to consume it within a week or two for the best taste and texture. Check for any signs of staleness, such as a loss of crunchiness.
Ways to use this Grinch popcorn in Christmas traditions
My boys gobbled this stuff up and just loved it! We plan to make this every Christmas. I just love adding new traditions to our family.
Grinch popcorn can be incorporated into various Christmas traditions to add a touch of festive fun. Here are some creative ways to use this tasty treat in your holiday celebrations:
- Movie Night Snack: Gather the family for a cozy Christmas movie night. Enjoy classics like “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” while munching on Grinch popcorn. It enhances the movie-watching experience with a delicious treat. Serve with homemade Homemade Hot Chocolate.
- Holiday Party Treat: Serve Grinch popcorn at your Christmas parties or gatherings. It can be a unique addition to your dessert table, and guests can snack on it throughout the event.
- Homemade Gift: Prepare batches of Grinch popcorn and put them in decorative containers. These make wonderful homemade gifts for neighbors, friends, or teachers. Add a personalized touch with a holiday-themed tag or ribbon.
- Decorative Centerpiece: Fill clear glass bowls or jars with Grinch popcorn and use them as decorative centerpieces for your holiday table. Not only does it add a pop of color, but it also provides a tasty treat for your guests. You can find this adorable stuffed Grinch HERE.
- Countdown to Christmas: Create a countdown calendar using Grinch popcorn. Place a small serving in a numbered container or pouch for each day leading up to Christmas. It’s a tasty way to count down the days until the big celebration.
- Classroom Treats: If you’re involved in school activities, Grinch popcorn can be a wonderful treat for classroom parties or as a reward for holiday-themed activities. Kids will love the vibrant colors and delicious taste.
More Grinch Recipes:
- Pop the popcorn.
- Pour the green candy melts in a glass bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute, then 30 seconds between stirring.
- Pour the melted chocolate on the popcorn and mix well.
- Stir in half of your candy hearts and green M&M’s.
- Spread out the popcorn onto wax paper.
- Add the rest of the candy hearts and sprinkles on top and let it set for about 15 minutes.
- Scoop the cooled popcorn into a large bowl.
- Cut the yellow candy melt disks in half and attach a mini red M&M’s on the top using cookie icing. Place them on top of the popcorn.