Southern Fried Cabbage is delicious and a super easy low carb dish to make. Just a hand full of ingredients and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
Southern Fried Cabbage
Most people just think of cabbage in recipes like coleslaw, but this version of cooked cabbage is absolutely delicious and so easy to make! Another amazing recipe that uses cabbage is our popular Cabbage Role Soup – it’s a huge hit with everyone! This simple preparation of fried cabbage is a classic recipe that combines cabbage with bacon. Once you try it, this will be your new favorite side dish!
There are so many healthy benefits with cabbage as well. It’s packed with vitamins and nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin K, antioxidants, fiber, beta-carotene, anthocyanins, and much more. It’s high in fiber and low in fat/calories. Also great for the digestive system and immune system.
Fried Cabbage Recipe
Ingredients you will need:
- Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- Brown Sugar (optional)
- Parsley (optional)
How To Make Fried Cabbage
This recipe starts with bacon, which gets cooked until crisp and then chopped. Diced onions go into the bacon fat to cook, then chopped cabbage is mixed in with seasoning. Everything gets cooked together until the cabbage is tender and caramelized. Add a little chopped parsley (optional) and then serve!
Can Cooked Cabbage Be Frozen?
Yes! You can either separate the whole batch into several smaller portions, or freeze the whole batch at once.
We use freezer zip-lock bags. Transfer cooled cooked cabbage into the bag, get the air out, and seal it tight. Label and freeze for 3-5 months.
To thaw: take frozen cabbage out of the freezer and place in the fridge to let it slow-thaw overnight.
To reheat cooked cabbage: it’s best to reheat it in a pan over the stove, over medium heat.
Other Low-Carb Side Dishes You Will Love:
Southern Fried Cabbage
- 8 slices bacon chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small head green cabbage cored and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar optional
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley optional
- Cook bacon in a non-stick pan over medium heat until crisp, 4-5 minutes. Remove the bacon from pan, but save the drippings.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they are translucent. Add the cabbage, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is wilted. You may need to add a bit of water to help the cabbage along.
- Add the chopped bacon back into the pan and mix it together with the cabbage.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Love this Fried Cabbage With Bacon Recipe? PIN IT!