Applesauce Bread is a simple quick bread made with applesauce, sugar, butter, and warm spices. Prep time is just five minutes and after baking in the oven your whole house will smell like fall. s and after baking in the oven your whole house will smell like fall.
Applesauce Bread Recipe
I love making fresh bread, especially what I call dessert bread (ya’ know, banana bread, chocolate chip coffee bread, cinnamon roll bread….). Especially in the fall, I get the urge more and more to bake in the kitchen and fill our bellies with warm pastry items.
This recipe just takes some simple kitchen staples and spices that you’ve probably already got at home along with some applesauce. It’s incredibly easy to make and takes just a few minutes to whip together. Go ahead and preheat your oven and let’s bake.
Of course this bread goes so good with cold milk, warm cocoa or cider, hot coffee and lots of delicious homemade jams. This is also a really great treat to share with others! I love baking extras and taking one to a neighbor or a friend. (I also love when I’m on the receiving end of that!)
Enjoy your fall bread and the delicious smells that are filling your house as it cooks!
What You’ll Need
- Quick Bread Basics: This is a quickbread and the basic recipe is the same. You will need all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and sugar. You will also need eggs and butter.
- Apple sauce: You can’t make applesauce bread without apple sauce. The apple sauce replaces the vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- Seasoning: This bread is seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and orange zest.
- Course Salt (optional)
How To Make Applesauce Bread
Our quick applesauce bread recipe is literally just three steps. That’s it! Take a look at how easy this is.
- Stir. Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a big bowl. In a different bowl, beat the wet ingredients.
- Mix. Combine them by adding the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until they’re totally combined.
- Bake. Pour in the coated pan and sprinkle with salt. Then cook for an hour and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan before removing.
Variations to Applesauce Bread
- Add Nuts: You can mix in nuts like chopped walnuts or pecans for extra crunch and flavor.
- Dried Fruits: Mix in dried fruits like raisins, cranberries, or chopped dried apricots for a burst of sweetness.
- Chocolate Chips: For a touch of indulgence, throw in some chocolate chips or chunks.
- Citrus Zest: Adding a bit of lemon or orange zest can give your bread a refreshing twist.
- Yogurt: Substituting some of the applesauce with plain yogurt can make the bread more moist and add a tangy taste.
- Whole Wheat: You can replace some or all of the white flour with whole wheat flour for a nuttier flavor and added nutrition.
- Different Sweeteners: Experiment with other sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar instead of white sugar.
- Oats: Adding rolled oats can add texture and make the bread heartier.
- Remember to adjust the quantities of these ingredients based on your taste preferences and the original recipe. Enjoy your baking!
Want Another Quick Bread Recipe to Try?
- Pumpkin Monkey Bread
- Double Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
- Apple Fritter Bread
- Pineapple Coconut Bread
- Banana Bread In A Jar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, applesauce, sugars, melted butter, and orange zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and top with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes clean when inserted into the center of the loaf. Allow to cool in the pan.
- Run a paring knife around the edge of the loaf and then flip it over to release the loaf.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
2½ teaspoons of apple pie spice may be used in place of the other spices in the recipe.
Orange zest may be omitted or substitute for lemon zest.