Applesauce Bread is a simple and spicy quick bread is made with applesauce, sugar, butter and warm spices. Prep time is just five minutes and after baking in the oven your whole house will smell like fall.
I love making fresh bread, especially what I call dessert bread (ya’ know, banana bread, chocolate, cinnamon roll….). Especially in the fall I get the urge more and more to bake in the kitchen and fill our bellies with warm pastry items.
This recipe just takes some simple kitchen staples and spices that you’ve probably already got at home along with some applesauce. It’s incredibly easy to make and takes just a few minutes to whip together. Go ahead and preheat your oven and let’s bake.
Ingredients You Need
- Flour. All-purpose flour. Make sure not to use self-rising because we will be adding in the baking soda and salt ourselves.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Applesauce. Any basic applesauce will work for this recipe.
- Granulated Sugar and Brown Sugar
- Orange Zest. Just simply use a grater to get some zest from an orange, or if you’d rather, you can use a lemon.
- Course Salt (optional)
How To Make Applesauce Bread
Our quick applesauce bread recipe is literally just three steps. That’s it! Take a look at how easy this is.
- Stir. Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a big bowl. In a different bowl, beat the wet ingredients.
- Mix. Combine them by adding the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until they’re totally combined.
- Bake. Pour in the coated pan and sprinkle with salt. Then cook for an hour and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan before removing.
Of course this bread goes so good with cold milk, warm cocoa or cider, hot coffee and lots of delicious homemade jams. This is also a really great treat to share with others! I love baking extras and taking one to a neighbor or a friend. (I also love when I’m on the receiving end of that!)
Enjoy your fall bread and the delicious smells that are filling your house as it cooks!
More Recipes To Try
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1⅓ cup applesauce
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Coarse sugar optional topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, applesauce, sugars, melted butter, and orange zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and top with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes clean when inserted into the center of the loaf. Allow to cool in the pan.
- Run a paring knife around the edge of the loaf and then flip it over to release the loaf.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
2½ teaspoons of apple pie spice may be used in place of the other spices in the recipe.
Orange zest may be omitted or substitute for lemon zest.