This recipe for Pizza Grilled Cheese has all the flavors of pepperoni pizza in a classic grilled cheese sandwich. It’s the combination you didn’t know you needed!
Pepperoni Grilled Cheese
We are big pizza lovers in our house. My kids would eat pepperoni pizza for dinner several times a week if I let them. The combination of grilled cheese and pizza works together flawlessly! The garlic butter on the outside makes the bread nice and crisp while the mozzarella makes the middle gooey and delicious.
This pizza grilled cheese recipe is perfect for lunch or a quick dinner. It’s ready in about 10-15 minutes which is ideal if you don’t feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Minimal prep time, cook time, and cleaning time are always the best!
I’ve made this recipe a handful of times and my kiddos look forward to it. The first time they tried it, it blew their minds! I don’t think they knew that grilled cheese doesn’t always have to be American cheese on bread. You can switch it up and make fun new flavors!
Grilled cheese doesn’t have to be boring. Try Brisket Grilled Cheese, Bacon Grilled Cheese, Kimchi Grilled Cheese, Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese or Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese for more fun and delicious versions.
What You’ll Need
Aside from the bread and cheese, pepperoni along with the butter and seasonings are all you need to make pizza grilled cheese. It’s simple and inexpensive.
- Butter: Unsalted and softened so it’s easier to mix with the other ingredients and spread on the bread.
- Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grated or prepackaged is fine.
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Bread: I use white bread for this recipe.
- Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- Pepperoni Slices
- Pizza Sauce: Homemade or store-bought for dipping.
How to Make Pizza Grilled Cheese
The best part about this pizza grilled cheese recipe is that it’s so easy to make! Especially if you already know how to make a classic grilled cheese sandwich.
- Step 1. Make your garlic butter by combining the softened butter, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in a small bowl.
- Step 2. Spread the butter mixture on one side of each slice of bread. Place the slices of bread with the butter side down on a sheet pan.
- Step 3. Add one slice of mozzarella to each slice of bread and then top with 9 pepperoni slices. Repeat this process and finish with another mozzarella slice.
- Step 4. Top with a slice of bread that has the butter mixture facing out.
- Step 5. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add the pizza sandwich. Brown each side for about 3-4 minutes. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn. I recommend covering the skillet to ensure that the cheese melts thoroughly. Repeat this process until all of the sandwiches are cooked.
- Step 6. Serve warm with pizza sauce.
Tips and Tricks
- You can leave the pizza grilled cheese at room temperature for up to 2 hours, but it is best served warm.
- These can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Just keep in mind that the texture will differ slightly. Reheat the pepperoni grilled cheese on a skillet over low heat.
- Do not freeze these sandwiches once cooked. They will not reheat well.
- Instead of white bread, try making pizza grilled cheese with sourdough, Texas toast, ciabatta, or Italian bread.
Add-In Ideas For Your Pizza Grilled Cheese
- In addition to the pepperoni, you use sliced sausage or bacon. Use a combination of meats or just one.
- Add some veggies to this pizza sandwich. Sliced onions, olives, mushrooms, or bell peppers would be delicious.
- Used sliced provolone in place of the mozzarella for a different flavor.
More Fun Pizza Recipes
- Pizza Egg Rolls
- Easy Pepperoni Pizza Wontons
- Pepperoni Pizza Baked Ziti
- Pizza Dip
- Hawaiian Pizza Roll Sliders
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- In a small bowl, combine butter, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and mix it together until all is smooth.
- Spread the butter over one side of each of the 8 bread slices evenly. Place each slice of bread butter side down on a tray.
- Place one slice of mozzarella cheese on the non buttered side of the bread. Then place 9 pepperonis in a single layer on top of the mozzarella cheese. Continue with another layer of mozzarella cheese, pepperonis and one more slice of mozzarella cheese. Top with a slice of bread with butter side facing out.
- Heat a 10 inch skillet on the stovetop with medium-low heat. Once the skillet is heated, add the sandwich to the skillet. Cook on one side until golden brown then flip with a spatula. It will only take 3-4 minutes on each side, be sure to keep a close eye on the sandwiches as they cook so they do not burn. Add a lid to the skillet to help the cheese melt in the center of the sandwich. Continue the same process for the remaining sandwiches.
- Serve with warm pizza sauce.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
● You can store these in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. The texture will change once stored in the refrigerator. To reheat, add to a warm skillet over low heat.
● It is not recommended to freeze sandwiches once they have been cooked. ● Make sure butter is completely softened. This will help it spread easier on the slices of bread.
● You can use any type of bread for this recipe if you do not want to use white bread. Texas toast, sourdough or ciabatta bread would work great with this recipe.