If you love an Almond Joy candy bar, try whipping up these candy bars at home! This Homemade Almond Joy Recipe is so simple and fun to make, perfect for the holidays, to give as gifts, parties, or any time you want a sweet coconut, chocolate, and almond treat.
Homemade Almond Joy Recipe
There’s something about the combo of sweet coconut with rich dark chocolate and crunchy almonds in an Almond Joy. We enjoy making candy for Christmas and this Homemade Almond Joy Recipe is a family favorite. The technique of forming the candies in mini cupcake wrappers makes this recipe so quick and easy! You will also love our Almond Joy Cookies.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Homemade Almond Joy Recipe (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the easy to print recipe card):
- Shredded sweetened coconut – unsweetened coconut can be used, but the sweetened version gives the Almond Joy’s just the right sweetness.
- Sweetened condensed milk – use any brand you like.
- Vanilla extract – the vanilla adds a wonderful hint of flavor to the coconut filling.
- Dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips – milk chocolate can be used, but be careful as it burns very easily when melting the chocolate.
- Coconut oil – we use coconut oil because it gives the chocolate a nice smooth texture.
- Roasted almonds – we used salted almonds, but unsalted is just fine too.
How to Make the Homemade Almond Joy Recipe
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate and coconut oil for 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Place 18 mini cupcake wrappers on a cookie sheet and spoon a heaping teaspoon of the melted chocolate into the bottom of each cup.
Scoop the coconut filling mixture over top of the chocolate in each cup.
Add one almond to each cup in the center of the coconut filling.
Top each Almond Joy with the remaining melted chocolate to cover the coconut and almond. Refrigerate the candies until the chocolate is set.
Healthier Almond Joy Version
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Healthy Almond Joy Recipe (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the easy to print recipe card):
- 1 cup Shredded coconut – be sure to use unsweetened coconut.
- 3/4 cup Canned coconut milk – use the thick white cream from the can for this recipe, not the more watery coconut milk. Chill the can of chocolate milk to solidify the cream before you open the can.
- 2 Tbsp Pure maple syrup – be sure to use 100% pure maple syrup.
- 18 Roasted almonds – the almond can be salted or not. Raw almonds also work well.
- 1 1/4 cups Dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips – use any chocolate chips you like.
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil – coconut oil helps to give the melted chocolate a smooth and easily spoonable texture.
In a blender or food processor, add the coconut, coconut milk (use the thick cream from the can of coconut milk), and maple syrup, and blend until combined and the coconut reaches your desired consistency (blend longer for small pieces of coconut, or shorter for more coconut texture).
Can I use a different kind of nut?
Yes! Try toasted pecans instead of almonds. It’s really good!
Can I use milk chocolate instead of dark?
You can, but melting milk chocolate is tricky. Melt it in shorter intervals in the microwave, stirring more often, to try to prevent burning.
Can I dip the Almond Joys instead of using mini cupcake wrappers?
Yes, you can place a mound of the coconut mixture on a fork, add an almond on top, then dip in the chocolate until covered. Push the dipped candy off of the fork onto a lined cookie sheet and refrigerate until set.
How to Store Homemade Almond Joys
Keep the mini Almond Joy candies in an airtight food storage container either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. They stay fresh for up to a week.
More Recipes You Will Love
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Raspberry Cheesecake Bars
- White Chocolate Cranberry Fudge
Homemade Almond Joy
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate and coconut oil for 1 minute, then stir until smooth.
- Place 18 mini cupcake wrappers on a cookie sheet and spoon a heaping teaspoon of the melted chocolate into the bottom of each cup. Scoop the coconut filling mixture over top of the chocolate in each cup. Add one almond to each cup, then top with the remaining chocolate.
- Refrigerate the almond joys until set.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.